This focused issue on "Current Status and Future Expectations in the Management of Gastrointestinal Cancer" is edited by Dr. Nahum Méndez-Sánchez from Liver Research Unit, Medica Sur Clinic & Foundation, Mexico City, Mexico.
Dr. Nahum Méndez-Sánchez specializes in Gastroenterology and Hepatology. He has academic Masters and PhD degrees in Medical Science at the School of Medicine UNAM (National Autonomous University of Mexico) and Post-doctorate at Harvard University, United States of America. He is member of the National System of Investigators (SNI) Level 3 from the National Council of Science and Technology (CONACyT), Mexico. He is a Professor for the Masters and PhD Medical Science programs at the School of Medicine, UNAM. Currently, he is the Director Biomedical Research Foundation and Director of Medica Sur Clinic Foundation. He is a member of 20 Medical Associations, both national and international such as AASLD (FAASLD), AGA (AGAF), ACG (FACG), EASL (International Member), ALEH (Member and past President). Governor of Mexico of the ACG. Founder Editor of Annals of Hepatology. Associate Editor of the World Journal of Gastroenterology, Member of the Advisory board of the American Journal of Gastroenterology. Member of Editorial Board of Hepatology official journal of the AASLD). Member of Editorial Committee of different national and international journals as well as and reviewer various Committees and national and international journals. Among his awards we may mention: Honors in his Bachelors Degree, Masters and Ph.D by the School of Medicine of the National Autonomous University of Mexico as well as the “Gabino Barreda” medal award. He was the winner by the National Medicine Academy, just to name a few. He has been President of the Mexican Association of Hepatology and the Latin American Association for Study of the Liver. In scientific production terms, he is the author of 17 published books in the fields of gastroenterology and hepatology, he has written 148 chapters for several books and has 283 articles published in PUBMED.
Focused issue outline:
- Worldwide situation in the epidemiology of gastrointestinal cancer
- New molecular advances in the study of gastrointestinal cancer
- Current trends in immunotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma
- Screening techniques for Barrett’s esophagus
- Actuality of liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: From molecular bases to therapeutic approach
- Immunobiology of cholangiocarcinoma
- Systemic therapies for cholangiocarcinoma
- The important relation between type 2 diabetes mellitus and pancreatic cancer
- Staging and management of small intestine neoplasms
- Overview in the approach in colorectal cancer
The series “Current Status and Future Expectations in the Management of Gastrointestinal Cancer” was commissioned by the editorial office, Digestive Medicine Research without any sponsorship or funding. Nahum Méndez-Sánchez is serving as the unpaid Guest Editor for the series.